"Last time," began Dr. Lauren, "we started to talk about the discontent you've been feeling. Could you elaborate for me today?"

Ted closed his eyes, wishing that once they opened again he would no
longer been in this office and no longer faced with the question.
However, as the sun rises to beget the day anew, so did the office
return, and the question remained. Ted took in a deep breath and
started, "Like I said, I'm discontent with things in my life. Everyone
is."

The therapist sighed at the avoidance of the question. Whenever Ted
didn't feel like speaking his mind, he would simply dance around the
issue. Dr. Lauren normally had to back him into a corner just to get a
few words. This professional took the chance. "So I guess what you're
saying is that your discontentment is the same as mine or even my
friends. Seeing as that's the case, I can tell you it's nothing and you
should just ignore it."

Ted looked at the doctor for a moment, almost in shock. He considered
the words for a bit, yet, in all his musing, did not see the vice in
play. He pondered his own thoughts, then replied. "I did not mean that.
I simply said that discontent was common and that it's not so special"
He took a breath, then continued. "I am discontent because I feel like
some thing's off. I know not what is off, but I know it is. I know that
it haunts me as I wake, and torments me as I sleep. I know that my
walking and talking are moved by it. My very being is infected by this
feeling, this thought, this idea. I am not a man moved by passions, yet
I feel passionate in my own case. I feel myself wanting something I
know in my very core should be, yet is not. It is my thought, yet I
cannot express it because, even if I knew who to express it to, I would
not know which words to say." Ted laid to his side, wishing this would
all just go away.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 1:17 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment